Saturday, June 2, 2012

Russian Superstitions

It was Saturday today, thus we did not have any classes. It was nice, because we got a day to relax, but of course it was raining. We ended up in an underground mall and some of the people got some going out clothes. But before all that this morning while one of the girls and I were waiting for the guys to come down from their rooms the other girl decided to sit  on the step to wait. Which isn't anything unusual, well in the U.S. at least. After she sat there for a few minutes an older woman came up to the steps and started saying something in Russian. Thankfully I could understand what the woman was saying. She said that we shouldn't sit on cold concrete because you will get sick. I then remembered learning that Russians believe that. It was a nice piece of culture that we got to experience.
My favorite part of the whole day was going to a giant Russian bookstore!!! When we separated to go look around we said that we would all meet back in 20 minutes. I needed like 20 hours to be in there! I felt like a kid locked in a candy store! It was amazing! I found the jackpot section, it had Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, Pushkin, Gogol and so many others. I grabbed a huge stack and met back up with my friends and they stared at me. I then realized that I will be here a month and don't need to take the whole bookstore home with me today, even though I really wanted to. I ended up with a kids book about the chubyrashka and Gena the crocodile. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sICgWJ46_4E It is a famous Russian children's story. One of the guys and I were so excited to find one of these books. We looked like little kids on Christmas. Another one of the guys made fun of me because I didn't let the book out of my sight all day. I am too tired to read it tonight, but I definitely will be reading it tomorrow!!!
Oh I forgot to add my other favorite part. I got to see Pushkin's statue!!! Omg, I took a bazillion pictures I could have stayed there for hours. He was a famous Russian writer. He is my second favorite Russian writer. I now can't wait to see Dostoevsky's house and Gogol's and Tolstoy's. So excited. I keep trying to look pissed off and Russian, but I am way too happy for that.
I apologize for not writing more. But it has been a long week and my bed springs are about to push out the top of my bed and the sun comes up at 4 a. m. and goes down at 11 p.m. I have still not gotten use to not waking up with the sun.
До Завтра!
 
My book and then me and  Pushkin!

No comments:

Post a Comment