Sunday, June 17, 2012

men in tights, historical paintings, american food and a microwave in the bathroom


I apologize for not writing. This weekend was very busy. So be prepared, this will probably become a long blog.
Men in tights: Well Friday night we went to go "Sleeping Beauty". Even though I am not as interested in performing arts as I am literature it was still an amazing performance. The dancers did a fantastic job, I was highly impressed on the pure muscle they had to have to be able to do some of the things they were doing. One of the girls was on her tiptoes for what seemed like a good 2 minutes or even longer. It looked painful. Then their costumes were so beautiful. Even from being on the balcony I could still see how much detail was on their costumes. The one thing I wonder is how can they wear these tight clothes and not get wedgies during mid performance....just wondering. 
Historical paintings: Yet again I am not that interested in paintings and art, but Saturday morning when I walked through the Tretaykov gallery I felt like I was looking at history. My favorite part was the 12 and 13th century art. It was all of the art work I had learned about: the first martyrs for the orthodox church Boris and Gleb, St. George and the dragon and so many more. It was so amazing. I am really glad that I have had the chance to learn about all of these historic paintings and was able to actually appreciate them. 
American food: Saturday afternoon I got to meet a future teacher for Tech (his name is Anton) and his girlfriend( Marina). They were really nice and we worked a little on Russian and English. I am hoping the next time we hang out that we speak more Russian. Marina loves literature like I do and so we ended up walking to many of the famous Russian writers statues. It was wonderful and almost unrealistic. I couldn't believe I was walking by the houses that these great writers had lived in. It was awesome that Marina knew so much about a lot of the Russian writers.She was surprised I had heard and read so many Russian works. I felt like my friend Sunny and I had our very own tour guides. While we were walking around the city we stopped to get blinis which are like pancakes with filling. They were delicious. I then found it surprising that Anton's favorite restaurant is a play off old American diners http://www.starlite.ru/ . This diner was pretty good. The burgers weren't too bad, however it became hard to eat when a group of Russians came up behind our table and were discussing that the burgers were made out of dog...I am going to go with this not being true.I hope.  Anton also loves Mexican food. He will at least not go hungry when he moves to Lubbock. 
Then when I returned to the doors we hung out on one of our classmate's floor. His floor is all Russians, except for him. It was the last night of one of our classmates. So we wanted to hang out with her before she left. Well apparently the Russians were already partying and decided to join us. One of the guys had studied music and decided to play a bunch of American songs for us. He was really good. We then all talked in a mix of Russian and English. It was interesting to watch people communicate when they don't completely understand the other person's language. We managed to do pretty well and got to practice our Russian, while the Russians got to practice their English. It was a fun night.
Well this morning when I woke up and went to the bathroom I had noticed there was the microwave in the bathroom. I was really unsure what all had happened on my floor last night for there to be the microwave in the bathroom. Apparently the fuse in the kitchen had blown and so I guess the next best option was to put the microwave in the bathroom. I will definitely not be using the microwave and am hoping this does not become a fire hazard. 
Well, I need to get ready to go to a park that is dedicated to Bulgakov's novel Master and Margarita. We decided to do our homework out there.
I hope everyone had a good weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment