Friday, June 8, 2012

Moscow never sleeps

The last two days have been really busy. Yesterday I had three hours of  language class and then I had 2 hours of individual lesson with the teacher. It was intense, when I was done I couldn't think in English anymore. I still have to concentrate hard on constructing a sentence in English. My professor and I read a story in Russian and it was by Pushkin, one of my favorite authors. I enjoyed practicing my listening and reading a story by Pushkin. I found it funny though that it was about a love triangle...of course this would be a Russian story written by one of the most famous Russian writers.I was excited that I could actually read this story in Russian.
Another Russian superstition: Don't whistle inside...you will whistle away your money and everyone else's money. One of the guys was whistling inside and the program director told him that this was not allowed. Apparently this is true of anywhere indoors.
OOOO we FINALLY got hot water again! Apparently they do this every summer. They try to conserve the energy so they take away the hot water in a certain area for a small amount of time and then another area and so on. I was so happy that I could actually take a shower longer then 2 minutes.
Russians definitely know how to hold their alcohol. We hung out with some of them last night and they drank a lot and then said they had a test the next day. They said it won't be a problem for them to study and take the test. It was nice to speak Russian with them and to help them with their English. Also, we get to learn about their culture and day to day life.
This weekend is a 4 day weekend. On Tuesday it is the Day of Russia ( the day Russia became independent from the Soviet Union).  We are going to try to see some of the festivities.
Well, tomorrow we are going to see the Kremlin and I need some sleep. I can not wait to actually go inside. We will see Lenin's tomb most likely...not sure how I feel about seeing a preserved dead dude...they should have just let him become bones like everyone else. I also, hopefully get to see where most of the Russian tsars who ruled from the 1300s to the late 1600s were buried! Then I get the see the Armory and a few other things!  I feel like history is coming alive! So excited!

I will write you all tomorrow about these adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment