Monday, June 11, 2012

Another adventure in the Motherland

Hmm where to begin....
Well last night I went to a Russian concert...that was really cool and a fun experience. It was a lot like what you would see at an American concert. However, I liked that it was much smaller, it was more personal. I was actually surprised that some of the djs played American music and even more surprised when the Russians started singing to it. The funniest part was when they all got excited about the djs playing the song called War. It was really hard to not bust out laughing, because of how happy they were. It was definitely a fun experience.

Then today we recovered in the morning and then one of the girls and I went out to this place called the Arbat. It is a big tourist area. But it was a lot of fun and relaxing. We saw a lot of interesting things while there. A man made some amazing pictures using spray paint, then some young guys were break dancing and doing acrobats, then there were some people playing various instruments. It was interesting to see Russia come alive in a fun way.I was really happy when some of the shop keepers thought I was Russian and tried to hold a conversation with me. I was doing pretty good until they began to speak really fast...I then had to have them slow down. Some of them liked trying to help me with my words. Then some of the other shop keepers would begin speaking to me in English, but I would respond with "da" (yes in Russian) and they were surprised I knew Russian. I love using this language. While at the Arbat I got to see the outside of Pushkin's house! I love being in such historic places. It is still very unrealistic to me. After the Arbat we decided to go find a store that the other girl has been wanting to find. Well of course we get sent to the wrong place...but it gets more interesting. We ended up asking a Russian couple if they knew where it was. They were very nice and used their phones and tried to walk us to the store...well the store ended up being an office building. The interesting part was the woman. At first she was very friendly, but as we continued to walk she just wanted to know bad words in English and a few other things. My friend and I were a little worried. We figured she meant no harm, she was just acting really weird. So as soon as we could we separated and ended up watching some Russian bag pipe players. They were really good.
Tomorrow we are going to attempt to go to the zoo. It is Russia's independence day from the U.S.S.R. so it is a national holiday...I will probably have an entertaining encounter.
Well I must sleep so I can get up earlier to talk to my Grandfather ( which I am really excited about)

P.S. It was difficult to not put some of these words in English.

 I liked his shirt
 Bag pipe players
 Pushkin!!!!

Ashley and I at the concert

No comments:

Post a Comment