Today was the placement exam. That was painful. I will find
out tomorrow how I did. Either way I am excited about starting classes...yes
that is nerdy, but that is normal for me. After the test and lunch a group of 5
of us decided to go check out some things. We really wanted to go to Gorky
Park. However, it was raining when we got there, so we didn't get to see too
much. But it was still pretty awesome. For some random reason there is a mock
up space shuttle in the park with the U.S.S.R written on. Still not sure why that is there, but it
looked cool. Oh, and there was a little house in the park. I believe it was for
Baba Yar ( a character from a Russian folktale). It is crazy to final see
everything that I have heard so much about.
We added a person to our group of explorers today. Her
mother is Russian and father is Serbian, but she doesn't know a lot of Russian.
However, she has an accent, this came in handy. The rest of us would figure out
what we needed to say and then we would have her ask a Russian our question.
She also knows a good amount of the history of some of the areas. Our group of 5
actually works well together, because we each know certain things about Russian
culture, history and language that we then can teach each other about. I have learned so
much by just going out and exploring the city. I love the independence we have
here. After we have class or do whatever is on our schedule we are all free to
do whatever. This is when we have begun to split into 2 groups: The explorers
(my group) and the drinkers (the other group). However, we are about to become
the coffee addicts. One of the girls accidently 2 double shots of espresso,
thus having 4 shots of espresso. We have to have coffee at least once a day to
survive, because of all the walking we do.
Food: the food is much fresher and less processed here. I believe it has a lot more calories and carbs in it then American food, but, we need all of those calories to survive the 10 or miles of walking each day. I had chicken for breakfast this morning, it was good, but I definitely prefer my cereal. Lunch was a sausage pasta, which was really good. Then for dinner I had bought this bag of seafood with noodles. I am pretty sure I at octopus and squid and snails. It was interesting, I will see how my stomach feels about it tomorrow.
Love your blog! Have fun!!
ReplyDelete