Ok, I don't know how to start this. There is so much to say. First off, how do all of these Russian women wear high heels all day? My feet hurt and I wore tennis shoes. Also, that has to be difficult to balance on the metro in heels.
So the metro is intense. Don't stop or you will get pushed. Like one of the professors said "don't be too nice". Apparently Russians like to walk really fast, I believe it is because they are always running late. Which is completely different from how they eat out at restaurants. They usually eat slow and make a big deal of the whole event. Also, this whole walking everywhere explains why the elevators are so tiny. The first thing I thought when I had to fit into this elevator with 2 other people and my luggage was that "these are not american elevators". The Russians are so skinny because all of the walking they do. I was thinking of running while I was here, but I am not sure if that will be necessary because of how much we walk and how fast we walk.
It was interesting to try to get around town without anyone Russian. I was apart of a group of 4 people who decided to go explore downtown for a little bit. In our adventures we had to figure out how to buy a cigarette lighter. The lady laughed a little on how we were pronouncing it but she was very nice (unlike the cafeteria lady, who yelled at my friend for not putting his plate in the right spot and then corrected his grammar when he tried to talk to her in Russian.) Then we attempted to order coffee...thankfully between the 4 of us and our 2 dictionaries we were able to get through this without anything terrible happening. Oh btw try not to have to go to the bathroom while you are out, you have to pay to use it. Then we got to go explore red square! This is when it felt real that I was actually in Russia, actually standing in front of St. Basil's Cathedral ( the cathedral that has giant domes on top that possibly look like ice cream). Then we got to check out the street stores. My classmate and I were so happy on how well we could carry on a conversation with them. The vendor's love to bargain. We were really happy that we made it back to the dorms with no one getting seriously harmed.
Well it is midnight here and I need to study for my placement exam. I will write again tomorrow.
So the metro is intense. Don't stop or you will get pushed. Like one of the professors said "don't be too nice". Apparently Russians like to walk really fast, I believe it is because they are always running late. Which is completely different from how they eat out at restaurants. They usually eat slow and make a big deal of the whole event. Also, this whole walking everywhere explains why the elevators are so tiny. The first thing I thought when I had to fit into this elevator with 2 other people and my luggage was that "these are not american elevators". The Russians are so skinny because all of the walking they do. I was thinking of running while I was here, but I am not sure if that will be necessary because of how much we walk and how fast we walk.
It was interesting to try to get around town without anyone Russian. I was apart of a group of 4 people who decided to go explore downtown for a little bit. In our adventures we had to figure out how to buy a cigarette lighter. The lady laughed a little on how we were pronouncing it but she was very nice (unlike the cafeteria lady, who yelled at my friend for not putting his plate in the right spot and then corrected his grammar when he tried to talk to her in Russian.) Then we attempted to order coffee...thankfully between the 4 of us and our 2 dictionaries we were able to get through this without anything terrible happening. Oh btw try not to have to go to the bathroom while you are out, you have to pay to use it. Then we got to go explore red square! This is when it felt real that I was actually in Russia, actually standing in front of St. Basil's Cathedral ( the cathedral that has giant domes on top that possibly look like ice cream). Then we got to check out the street stores. My classmate and I were so happy on how well we could carry on a conversation with them. The vendor's love to bargain. We were really happy that we made it back to the dorms with no one getting seriously harmed.
Well it is midnight here and I need to study for my placement exam. I will write again tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment